The overarching goal of the Astana Initiative, adopted in 2010, is the development of regional, interregional and intersectorial cooperation, and the creation of the environment for introduction of "green" economy principles in Europe and Asia and the Pacific.
The initiative was adopted at the VI Ministerial Conference on Environment and Development in Asia and the Pacific in October 2010 and approved by the UNECE Committee on Environmental Policy for discussion at the VII Pan European Conference "Environment for Europe" to be held in September 2011 in Astana. The Astana “Green Bridge” Initiative is a bridge between: Europe and Asia and the Pacific; business and environment; developed and developing countries; science and practice; economy growth and conservation of natural resources; intellectual property and general accessibility to them.
It is a great pleasure to inform you that in accordance with the decisions taken by the countries of Asia and the Pacific (ESCAP, Astana, October 2, 2010) and Europe (UNECE, Astana, 23 September 2011) , the Republic of Kazakhstan jointly with Germany, Republic of Korea and other international partners prepared "Green Bridge" Partnership Programme for 2011-2020.
The main objective of the programme is to support mutual and voluntary cooperation among countries in Europe, Asia and the Pacific in the transition to a green economy, aiming at environment conservation and poverty eradication.
The Programme envisages joint actions by governments, international organizations and the private sector on development of new areas of sustainable business, green technologies and investment, through administrative and market mechanisms reform, establishing supportive infrastructure and other instruments.
The basic approach of the Programme is the practical, long-term and systematic assistance to interested countries and organizations in best practices, available technologies and management practices implementation, including support of investment and other projects for green economy.
In order to determine the priority projects of the "Green Bridge" Programme and its stakeholders, the government of the Republic of Kazakhstan jointly with Germany, Republic of Korea and other partners is planning to hold a Roundtable, the results of which may be presented at the Summit on Sustainable Development, "Rio+20" (Brazil, June 20-22, 2012) as a practical contribution to the process of transition to a green economy. Draft agenda and preliminary list of project proposals are attached.
1. Draft Agenda of the Roundtable
2. Preliminary List of Project Proposals
«Rio +20: Green Bridge projects- practical contribution to a green economy», Astana, Kazakhstan, 22-23 February, 2012
List of project proposals
№ Project proposal Short description of presentations
1. Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Support energy efficiency and renewable energy in interested countries in Europe, Asia and the Pacific based on successful international experiences and technologies and creation the necessary enabling conditions
2. Organic Agriculture Support in the development of organic agriculture in the regions of Europe, Asia and the Pacific on the basis of publicly available, low-cost and safe for human health and environment the technologies and support of the creation of regional markets for organic products
3. Sustainable Settlements Support of creation and widespread demonstrational settlements , buildings and infrastructure of low-carbon housing and sustainable settlements within the private, state and international programmes
4. Waste minimization Support regional and inter-regional cooperation for waste minimization based on efficient technologies , policies and infrastructure
5. Protection of Ecosystems on the basis of Green Economy The development of green economy in the transboundary basin (using example of the Ile-Balkhash River), through strengthening of mutually beneficial cooperation and trade in China, Russia, Kyrgyzstan, Kazakhstan and Europe for the protection of ecosystems and support of global environmental sustainability
6. Support of Green Technologies Creating a network of centers of dissemination the available and economically effective green technologies, including for SMB and households, and support and creation of transfer and dissemination of green technologies on the basis of the practical experience
7. Information Support for a Green Economy Creation a common informational space on green economy for the countries and organizations based on Internet to strengthen partnerships, share experiences, education and public participation in programmes and projects of green economy